Thursday, May 14, 2009

Here we go again!

So I've had a blog for my illustrations for a while (although I haven't added to it as often as I should). But rather than clutter that blog with irrelevant content, I thought I'd start a new one with a focus on my photography work.

So a little background on my experience behind a camera.......

I've always had a strong interest in photography and I can remember taking my parents camera when I was very little and wasting an entire roll of film on random things in our yard. I've continued to take photos and have been a huge fan of photography for probably 30 years now. My education wasn't in photography, but in art and illustration. If there's one thing in my life in regards to creativity that I have a passion for above photography its artwork and illustration. My artistic idols are N.C. Wyeth, John Waterhouse, and I have always had a stong appreciation for cubism and as a result I love Pablo Picasos cubist paintings. Contemporary artists that I enjoy (although maybe not as well known) are Jon Foster, Ryan Wood, Todd Harris, and Craig Mullins. One of the strongest influences I have had on my art is my college professor, Leon Parson. He will always be the primary force in sending me down the road I've taken with my artwork.

Back to the photography, I have no formal training whatsoever. The artistic training I've had has been an asset in regards to composition, lighting and mood. The limitations I have with the camera are entirely from either inadequate equipment, or lack of knowledge about how to use the tools that I have. I spent about 4 years managing a team of 5 or so photographers documenting ski resorts around the world that were used as reference for recreating those resorts for a series of snowboarding video games. That is where I had my "baptism by fire" into the world of photography. I've loved it ever since. Now I take pictures whenever I can. Hopefully I'll be able to share some photos that you are able to enjoy.

Stay tuned for more updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment